I made a spreadsheet to find the Tory MPs who’d voted the best for LGBT and abortion rights so we can lobby them against the DUP. Then realised it could be useful generally. So I added all the current post-2017 election MPs from all parties.
I looked at four key LGBT rights votes and three key abortion rights votes:
- Equality act 2007 (we want them to vote aye)
- Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill 2013 (we want them to vote aye)
- Conscientious Objection From Registrars to Marrying Same Sex Couples (we want them to vote no)
- Protection of freedom of expression (sexual orientation) 2008 (we want them to vote no – contrary to what it sounds like, this was about freedom to spout hate speech against LGB people)
- Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs — Termination of Pregnancy 2006 (we want them to vote no – shortening abortion time limit)
- Termination of Pregnancy (Counselling and Miscellaneous Provisions) 2007 (we want them to vote no – forced counselling before women are allowed an abortion)
- Reproductive Health (Access to Terminations) Bill 2017 (we want them to vote aye – decriminalise abortion)
If the spreadsheet is a bit unwieldy, here’s a summary:
Tories who voted for LGBT rights and abortion rights every time they could (8)
|Name||Constituency||Party||% good votes||Number of possible votes|
|Daniel Poulter||Central Suffolk and North Ipswich||Con||100.00%||3|
|Zac Goldsmith||Richmond Park||Con||100.00%||2|
|Victoria Atkins||Louth and Horncastle||Con||100.00%||1|
|Matt Warman||Boston and Skegness||Con||100.00%||1|
Labour MPs who voted for LGBT rights and abortion rights every time they could (88)
The list is 88 strong, so check the spreadsheet to find those.
MPs who voted for LGBT rights and abortion rights in all 7 votes (12)
Lots of other MPs also voted well 100% of the time they were able to, but weren’t MPs when all of these votes happened. Check the spreadsheet for more. New MPs with no voting record have been removed.
MPs who voted against LGBT and abortion rights in all 7 votes (7, all Tory)
|John Hayes||South Holland and The Deepings||Con|
|Mike Penning||Hemel Hempstead||Con|
|Andrew Selous||South West Bedfordshire||Con|
Plenty of others voted badly or abstained, or voted badly all the time they were able to but weren’t MPs when all these votes happened. Check the spreadsheet to find those. New MPs with no voting record have been removed.
How the current DUP MPs voted on LGBT and abortion rights
|Name||Constituency||Party||How badly did they vote?||Number of votes possible|
|Jeffrey M. Donaldson||Lagan Valley||DUP||42.86%||7|
|Gregory Campbell||East Londonderry||DUP||57.14%||7|
|David Simpson||Upper Bann||DUP||57.14%||7|
|Nigel Dodds||Belfast North||DUP||71.43%||7|
|Sammy Wilson||East Antrim||DUP||71.43%||7|
|Ian Paisley Jnr||North Antrim||DUP||100.00%||3|
|Gavin Robinson||Belfast East||DUP||100.00%||1|
None of the DUP voted badly on all seven of the votes possible, but some didn’t get the chance. BUT, none of DUP voted well on any of these votes, the best DUP guy just abstained on a few things.